Friday, October 23, 2009

Halloween Fun!

Family traditions counter alienation and confusion. They help us define who we are; they provide something steady, reliable and safe in a confusing world.

Tonight was amazingly fun! Let's just say that we started yet another tradition for Mollye. As most of you know, I LOVE traditions! I can recall all of my family traditions, and I make sure they are still followed year after year. I want to create that love for Mollye. So while I know she is really still too young for trick or treating, we still went to the Ghouls at Grassmere Zoo festivities tonight!

Not only did we dress Mollye up as a lion (ROAR!!!), but I was able to talk Adam into being the Scarecrow and myself Dorothy. You see I kind of told him that it was a tradition for families to come dressed up. He happily obliged not knowing any better. However, when we arrived he quickly realized that yet again only his crazy wife was on board for this family dress up tradition. He still wore most of his costume, but he refused to put on his hat. He did put it on for a quick picture:



Add his hat to this quick throw together outfit and you will have Adam the scarecrow! Lucky for me, he owns several pairs of overalls. Too bad he left his flannel shirt at home- yes, I even laid out a flannel shirt for him. I told you I like traditions, and I love Halloween!

So we made our way through the zoo stopping along the way to gather candy for Mollye Bear. At first she didn't like that people were adding things to her green bucket, but she quickly changed her mind and graciously gave them the bucket. She mostly strolled around like a good girl just taking in all the sights.

A couple of times she had to yell "Dada, Dada, NO!!!" He got caught trying to take the baby girl's candy. I told him he better wait until we get home. Plus Mom was worried that he might still her M&M's. I had my eyes on those from the second they were placed in that cute green bucket!

We had to stop and take a few pictures. I loved all the Fall Decorations along the zoo. Check out Dorothy and her cowardly lion! Yes, we were cowardly- if you don't believe us; you should have been there when we approached the Titans mascot. All this lion could say was "mama, mama!"



Now let's add in the fabulous (hatless) scarecrow:

All in all it was great! A new tradition that we will for sure continue next year! Mollye was happy- just look at what all she walked away with (well ok, it might be gone by the time she wakes up in the morning):

Maybe next year we will stick around for the costume parade, but this year it was way past bedtime. So instead we went from ROAR to sleepy girl: Night, Night

1 comment:

  1. Looks like Mollye gets her aversion to hats from her daddy!

    Love the Dorothy costume!

    As soon as Casey gets up, he is going to take a peeks at Aunt Kim!

    I can see him blushing already.

    .mac :)

    ReplyDelete